The National Fluid Power Association (NFPA) is offering one merit-based scholarship, for $40,000 ($10,000 per year for four years), to high school seniors who have participated on a 2022 FIRST® Robotics Competition Team or a 2022 National Robotics League (NRL) Competition Team and used fluid power in the challenge design or on the competition robot (pneumatics). This scholarship may be utilized for an Engineering course of study at any United States tech school/college or university that holds accredited status. Three (3) finalists will be chosen from essay entries. Phone interviews with the finalists will determine the ultimate scholarship winner.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a senior in high school for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Have participated on a team during the 2022 FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC®) or 2022 National Robotics League (NRL) Competition.
- Provide evidence that your 2022 FRC or NRL team used pneumatics on its competition project.
- Provide proof of enrollment in an accredited tech school/college/university Engineering program every year for renewal.
- Maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale at the accredited tech school/college/university.
Submission of Scholarship Application:
- A completed NFPA Online Application.
- A 1,000 word or less essay to the NFPA 2022 Challenge Question:
Please answer the essay question below:
- 2022 Essay Question: How did you use fluid power in your project this year? Please include specific examples of the fluid power applications used. Why did using fluid power result in a better outcome?
A 1,000 word or less letter of recommendation from an adult mentor/coach on your FIRST or NRL team which MUST CONFIRM the following:
- The use of fluid power in your challenge design or on the competition robot (pneumatics). Even if competitions are cancelled this year, please confirm the plan to use fluid power in your design choice or build process.
- And your participation in the 2022 FRC or NRL season.
- Will be judged by a panel of NFPA association members.
Rules and Regulations
- Scholarships will be paid directly to a recipient’s educational institution.
Applications are due May 1, 2022 (Midnight - Central Standard Time). Scholarship Award Winner will be notified in July.